Liver Assist contains the amino acid N-acetyl-L-cysteine, a key component of glutathione—a tripeptide that plays a significant role in detoxification and antioxidant support. Liver Assist also contains a combination of alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin from milk thistle, and selenium for support of antioxidant activity, regeneration of other antioxidants, and promotion of healthy immune function. This is an ideal supplement for those who have had their gallbladder removed or for those with fatty liver disease.
As we see a dramatic increase in liver conditions reaching epidemic proportions, there has never been a more important time to use research-based, targeted nutrition for liver health. In the United States alone, it is estimated that 40% of the population (over 100 million people) suffer unknowingly from fatty liver. Liver cancer has tripled since 1980 and continues to rise. The liver is the organ that supports all organs. When the liver is compromised, the entire body suffers. The Liver Assist targeted liver support is a crucial way to cleanse your liver in today's toxic world. The liver has the ability to cleanse itself in normal toxic free conditions, but not against the onslaught of toxins we undertake in today's toxic environment. This is why we use Liver Assist, a clinically validated formula.
INGREDIENTS THAT WORK
An acetylated derivative of the sulfur- containing amino acid L-cysteine, NAC promotes the synthesis of glutathione—a tripeptide that is active in detoxification and antioxidant systems. Glutathione also supports a healthy defense against hepatotoxic environmental pollutants, gamma-radiation, and other potential toxins.[1,2]
Sometimes referred to as thioctic acid, alpha-lipoic acid is both water- and fat-soluble. It supports glutathione, helps regenerate antioxidant vitamins C and E, helps maintain the ratio of reduced to oxidized CoQ10 in the mitochondria, and helps support healthy levels of nitric oxide in the liver and kidney. The redox couple of lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic stabilizes NF-kappaB transcription and may help support healthy immune functions in the body.[4,5]
MILK THISTLE SEED EXTRACT
Silymarin, the active component in milk thistle, has a history of use in promoting liver health. It supports antioxidant activity, neutralizes toxins, and also may protect hepatocytes’ genetic material. Like alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin supports production of cellular glutathione. Its actions in the liver include maintaining normal levels of fat peroxidation and fibrous tissue formation; supporting a healthy immune response and the natural response to inflammation; and promoting protein synthesis and normal regeneration of liver tissue. A randomized placebo-controlled study of 103 individuals suggested that silymarin yielded statistically positive results and was well tolerated.
SELENIUM (as selenomethionine)
An important coenzyme for the glutathione peroxidase detoxification system, selenium also appears to support the endogenous antioxidant defenses of hepatocytes by upregulating their manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) expression. At the same time, selenium appears to support healthy cytokine balance by affecting interleukin-6 (IL-6) transcription in Kupffer cells (liver-based macrophages). Kupffer cells play a crucial role in maintaining normal structure and function in the liver. Supporting their function and the body’s normal inflammatory response in turn supports liver health overall.
Upon studying targeted nutrition support for liver health, we chose to combine alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin, and selenium to obtain a balanced and low-cost approach to liver support. These three ingredients plus NAC are all present in Liver Assist to support liver health, antioxidant activity, and the body’s natural immune defenses.
Recommended Usage:Take one capsule twice daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Individuals taking medication should discuss potential interactions with their healthcare practitioner. Do not use if tamper seal is damaged.
Does Not Contain:Wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, or artificial preservatives.
1. Krinsky DL, LaValle JB, Hawkins EB, et al. Natural Therapeutics Pocket Guide. 2nd ed. Hudson (OH): Lexi-Comp; 2003.
2. Hu C, Jiang L, Geng C, et al. Possible involvement of oxidative stress in trichloroethylene-induced genotoxicity in human HepG2 cells. Mutat Res. 2008 Jan 18. [PMID: 18289923]
3. Abdel-Zaher AO, Abdel-Hady RH, Mahmoud MM, et al. The potential protective role of alpha-lipoic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damage. Toxicology. 2008 Jan 20;243(3):261-70. [PMID: 18068886]
4. Suzuki YJ, Aggarwal BB, Packer L. Alpha-lipoic acid is a potent inhibitor of NF-kappa B activation in human T cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992 Dec 30;189(3):1709-15. [PMID: 1482376]
5. Baur A, Harrer T, Peukert M, et al. Alpha-lipoic acid is an effective inhibitor of human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV-1) replication. Klin Wochenschr. 1991 Oct 2;69(15):722-4. [PMID: 1724477]
6. Pradhan SC, Girish C. Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine. Indian J Med Res. 2006 Nov;124(5):491-504. [PMID: 17213517]
7. El-Kamary SS, Shardell MD, Abdel-Hamid M, et al. A randomized controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of silymarin on symptoms, signs and biomarkers of acute hepatitis. Phytomedicine. 2009 May;16(5):391-400. [PMID: 19303273]
8. Shilo S, Pardo M, Aharoni-Simon M, et al. Selenium supplementation increases liver MnSOD expression: molecular mechanism for hepato- protection. J Inorg Biochem. 2008 Jan;102(1):110-8. [PMID: 17804075]
9. Roberts RA, Ganey PE, Ju C, et al. Role of the Kupffer cell in mediating hepatic toxicity and carcinogenesis. Toxicol Sci. 2007 Mar;96(1):2- 15. Review. [PMID: 17122412]
10. Berkson BM. A conservative triple antioxidant approach to the treatment of hepatitis C. Combination of alpha lipoic acid (thioctic acid), silymarin, and selenium: three case histories. Med Klin (Munich). 1999 Oct 15;94 Suppl 3:84-9. [PMID: 10554539]
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Other Ingredients: HPMC (capsule), stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, and silica.